Jonathan Chalstrey - Profile
Sixteen years of experience in designing and delivering organisational culture change programmes including development in leadership, management, team synergy and customer service. Ten years of executive coaching experience with people at all stages in their careers from front-line customer service staff to managing directors. Two years of experience in equality, diversity and inclusion training. Clients include multinationals to SMEs. Stakeholders include senior leaders, OD and Learning and Development professionals.
- Learning and Development design and delivery focusing on culture change
- Management of L+D project teams
- One-to-one coaching face-to-face, via Skype/Zoom/Phone (qualified MaSTer Coach)
- Qualified to use a range of psychometric and 360 feedback tools
- Author of the book 'Think Better, Lead Better: Transforming Your Leadership Through Understanding Your Brain' (2015) which also showcases my approach to brain-friendly coaching
- Designed and delivered 'Inspiring Trust and Leading Others' module for International Senior Nuclear Plant Managers Programme at EDF/OPG, delivering in Canada and UK. The programme is in its second year and delegates report increased ability to grow production at future-ready sites while managing run down and decommissioning of older sites.
- Designed and delivered a leadership development programme for Nurse Scholars at Bupa that included face-to-face workshops and action learning sets via videoconference. Scholars are actively coaching each other to progress their business projects.
- Developed a suite of training in influencing/negotiating, presentation and time management for project leaders and managers across a variety of functions at Bupa. Participants report improved productivity, motivation and better working relationships across functions and geographical/business regions.
- Designed transformational leadership module for partners and aspiring partners at Weightmans, a top 50 UK law firm. Participants report greater cross-organisational leadership and working.
- Worked with four colleagues to introduce a values-based leadership development programme to the Wellcome Trust, the world's second largest investor in biomedical research. Programme participants have included leaders from executive board members to newly appointed managers. The programme is at the heart of a cultural shift in the organisation away from rigid, top-down command and control towards cross-functional collaboration and innovation. I was involved with the programme for 6 years.
- Worked with Senior Partner and HR Director at Haines Watts (UK-wide accountancy) and with small delivery team at Leadership Trust to design and deliver a management skills programme for managers and aspiring partners. Participants report increased commercial focus and ability to prioritise and delegate. The programme is now in its second year.
- Delivered mentoring training to mentors and mentees on EY Entrepreneurial Winning Women's Programme 2016-17. Mentors and entrepreneurs come from Europe and North America and report improved leadership and people skills and greater success with scaling start up businesses particularly in IT/Tech sector
- Worked with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to design and deliver training and coaching for project leaders and line managers based in three continents. These leaders needed to influence in matrix environments, both within the bank and with partner organisations. The ten-year programme has resulted in hundreds of managers improving their understanding of stakeholders' needs, achieving better 'deals' for the bank, improving engagement of project staff and use of technology across the business.
- Worked with consultant 'buddy' to introduce lean systems thinking and culture change to West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service. Participants have already removed waste in key processes and started to build a culture of greater 'self-help' and accountability
- Designed and co-delivered graduate development programmes for FremantleMedia (makers of The Apprentice and X Factor) and Barclays Bank focusing on the skills of prioritising and time management, communication, influencing and presenting (particularly to senior people) and team working. All Fremantle graduates achieved permanent jobs in the group's businesses.
- Designed and delivered diversity and inclusion training with a human brain slant for five UK housing associations during 2017/18. These training interventions have been part of larger culture change programmes to improve recruitment, management and people development. Participants include board members, senior leaders, managers and staff in customer services, collections, repairs and maintenance, care homes, asset management and back-office functions as well as Involved Customers. Work is ongoing.
- Introduced training for managers and employees in new performance appraisal systems both for ING Lease and the Guinness Partnership housing association. Both resulted in significant shifts in performance conversations to focus on business improvement goals (what) and desired behaviours/competences (how).
- Worked with senior managers, OD and L&D managers at Porsche Cars (GB) to design and co-deliver a customer advocacy development programme. The programme was a core part of a UK business-wide change initiative which resulted in the client's tied dealerships significantly improving their Net Promoter Scores and profitability in comparison with non-tied dealerships
- Introduced sales and negotiating mindsets and skills to operational managers and staff at Panalux, the leading supplier of lighting to the film, TV and events industries. Participants are now radically changing how they add value to their clients and the business
- Co-designed and delivered team communication skills training programme with actor colleague for new cross-functional working teams at the Wellcome Trust. Participants report more productive meetings and faster decision making
- Introduced neuroscience-based leadership development to off-field staff at Manchester United. This resulted in managers gaining significant insights to the limitations of their approaches to engaging staff and adopting more productive leadership behaviours. As a result managers have led more successful promotion campaigns for club membership and developed more confident call centre staff prepared to interact more effectively with both higher and lower value customers
- Over fourteen years I have helped a great many project and intact teams at (1) Oxford University Press, (2) Guinness Partnership and (3) Public Health England (formerly the Health Protection Agency) to understand team dynamics better and build more productive alliances both internally and externally. As a result these teams have made measurable improvements in service delivery in areas as diverse as (1) innovating products through technology (2) housing estate operations, HR, marketing and health and safety (3) engagement of multiple agencies in health service delivery and expert health protection advice
- Coaching hundreds of leaders and managers to improve their self and social awareness resulting in better judgements and decisions, increased motivation, higher productivity and reduced stress for themselves and better leadership of their teams
October 2004 - Present: Owner Jonathan Chalstrey Associates (JCA).
- Design and delivery of many culture change, leadership and team development programmes.
- One-to-one coaching of leaders from 5 to 30 years into their careers.
- Business development including:
✔ Finding clients - initiating conversations with senior managers, OD and L&D specialists.
✔ Building long-term relationships with stakeholders - running L&D forums on 'hot' development topics.
✔ Mining accounts for long-term business profit - setting up and delivering sales pitches for development opportunities.
- Raising the profile of L&D and CPD - for example, in recent years I have had speaking engagements about leadership and personal development at the Bank of England, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and Children and Family Court Advisors and Support Service (Cafcass) and Housing Diversity Network (HDN).
October 2003 - October 2004: Learning and Development Consultant, PERA/Middle Aston House People Development Consultancy.
- Trained as a leadership and team development trainer and facilitator including a range of experiential learning techniques and psychometrics.
- Business development including selling more development to existing clients such as Dixons.
October 2000 - October 2003: E-Learning Consultant, KnowledgePool Training Consultancy (Formerly Fujitsu's training arm)
- Developed business relationships with corporates such as Nokia, Vodafone, Inmarsat and Tesco and sold them bespoke e-learning solutions from induction to compliance to health and safety to soft skills solutions.
April 1997 - Oct 2000 Marketing Manager, Pearson Education (major international publisher)
- Responsible for pan-European marketing of the Heriot-Watt University MBA, the world's most popular MBA at the time.
- Launch of the UK Institute of Director's Company Director Development programme.
- Support to the corporate sales team including publicity production.
June 1990 - April 1997: Marketing Director, Wolsey Hall Oxford (the world's first provider of correspondence courses).
- All aspects of marketing Masters, Diploma and Certificate in management programmes.
- Managing a marketing team of four people plus external agencies.
- Received best small stand award at Human Resource Development Exhibition 1994.
- Managed sales team to corporate market comprising four other senior staff.
April 1985 - June 1990: Marketing roles with a number of academic publishers.
- I can provide more information upon request
2017 - Leading with Impact Programme at the Leadership Trust
2012 - Hall Tonna Values Technology accredited
2010 - Hay McBer Leadership and Management Styles
2010 - 360 Leadership Circle accredited
2009 - 360 Benchmark Leadership and Skillscope accredited
2009 - Zenger and Folkman Extraordinary Leader Behaviours
2008 - Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) Assessor levels 5,3 and 2
2007/8 - Experience in use of DISC, Belbin and Insight Inventories
2007 - MasterCoach Practitioner from MaST International following supervised programme of coaching practice
2006 - Thomas Kilmann Conflict Handling Mode Instrument (TKI)
2004 - Situational Leadership
2004 - Strength Deployment Inventory (SDI) accredited
1991 - Certificate in Marketing (Oxford Brookes University)
1984 - BA (Joint Hons) in History and Economic and Social History, 2:1 (Bristol University)
British citizen with full, clean driving licence
Regular 5K and 10K runner and Finisher of Manchester Marathon 2018